Texas Senate Bill 1566
Senate Bill 1566, passed in last year’s legislative session, introduced a new required training for school board members of at least three hours on evaluating student academic performance and the oversight role of the board. State law requires school board members who were serving on September 1, 2017, to complete the training by no later than September 1, 2018. New board members have 120 days to complete the training after election or appointment. Then, all school board members will need to complete the training every two years.
NXTBoard offers a modular, online course that enables school board members to complete the requirement for SB 1566 training in their own time, at their own pace. The four-module course enables school board members to learn:
- Why school systems and school boards exist.
- What student outcome goals are and how to monitor progress toward those goals.
- The board behaviors that research has proven to impact student outcomes.
- Why implementation is the key to long-term success using the framework.
- Why progress monitoring matters and the tools boards can use to make it easy.